Saturday 3 March 2012

Stem cells in

Today is known as day zero, the day I get my stem cells back. It happened today at around 13:30, and was another non-event. I was told I might get tickling in the throat, a funny taste in my mouth...I didn't get any of this, although Jo reliably informed me that my breath smelled like 'essence of sweetcorn'. It may be while before she can kiss me or eat sweetcorn.

It was all over in 30 minutes, the 2 bags of pinky cells were pulled out of a freezer container by the nurse with big industrial gloves on, with liquid nitrogen evaporating off them. Then dumped in a warm bath (looked a bit like the things fancy chefs use on the Great British Menu to poach venison) for a few minutes then dripped into me via the central line. The stem cells were, amazingly, big enough to see with the naked eye and you could watch all these little red circular dots flowing down the tube into me. Incredible really.

I'm glad to report I'm not feeling sick anymore, so I was able to eat dinner without much effort (lunch was really hard work today). And I'm looking forward to a better night's sleep, I feel very tired but that is all.

Also, another bit of good news is one of the senior nurses said it was 'unlikely' that my eyebrows would fall out, and maybe not even my beard just the hair on my head...I'm not getting too excited as every statement like this is followed by 'but everyone's different'. Watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. So you've been reintroduced to your stem cells. Were they as you remembered them? Noticeably cleaner?

    ReplyDelete