Thursday 8 March 2012

Kettle Chips and Lucozade

Feel the need to give a couple of shout outs today. Big thanks go to Jack for coming from London yesterday and bringing me a new toothbrush after I managed to snap the one I had here (apologies I didn't bother to offer any reimbursement for that), and to Neil for a nice lengthy visit tonight and for bringing a huge amount of kettle chips and lucozade, the two things I want most in the world right now (slightly lacklustre offer of reimbursement made for these, not accepted). And finally to Buff for washing, ironing, folding and returning my dirty pants. Thank you all.

I am still finding getting through meals a massive struggle, and I feel like I'm craving childhood food suddenly. I have been put onto a high protein diet as I have lost some weight since admission. This is nothing for anyone to worry about but they don't want me to lose any more. I am eating everything they serve me up, but the dietician has said that the body can be using up to 40% more energy dealing with the transplant, and as the portion sizes here are maybe half what I'd eat at home I have to eat more. And this will take the form of more snacks, more crisps, more flapjacks, protein shakes, anything to get calories in - a licence to eat what I want! This is the one time I can sit here and eat a whole 150g bag of kettle chips and wash it down wih Lucozade knowing it is good for me.

They've given me a special menu where I am allowed anything off of it, any day, so no more having to have what is on the standard ward menu. I looked through it and saw that I could have fish fingers, chips and spagetthi hoops and now that is all I want. You can't mess with that, I keep thinking of how the edges of the chips will go a bit soggy in the tomato sauce, which is really sweet and gooey and then dipping my fish finger into ketchup...you get the picture.

Having moved into my own room I have to say considering what I'm about to go through this is a much more appropriate place than the ward for me. I do not have the company but the level of attentiveness from the nurses is so much higher because there are just more nurses to patients, and they are so well set up for transplants here (it being the transplant ward) that they are much more in tune with my needs, so I have to say I am glad to be up here now. And filling my days is not going to be that hard: I have visitors every day from now until Tuesday, and I'm only half way through the first season of Sopranos so there is plenty more to go.

Neil also told me that a few of the bods from work (and someone from work's mum, you know who you are) have been on and sponsored him, so thank you all for that. It is greatly appreciated. Keep it coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment