Saturday 20 October 2012

One foot in the hospital

I've been wanting to write an 'I'm home' blog for a week now (for it is a week and one day since I was discharged) but I have found it hard to believe that I won't just be on my way back the moment I utter the words. And for good reason...

Last week my temperature refused to behave, swinging up to 37.9, then down again, 38.1 then down again. Never quite meeting the criteria to be admitted but coming stressfully close. I admit I shed a few tears one night when my temperature hit 38 and the prospect of going back in a mere three days after discharge became a potential reality. But it just went down again one hour later. We believe that I caught a mild cold and may have actually overcome it, I did feel a bit rubbish for a few days, just like when you have a cold. Now I feel ok, touch wood everyone.

So I currently still feel like tomorrow I could be back in hospital and haven't quite relaxed into home life yet. The improvement over the last week in my energy levels and eating have been enormous and I have put on 2 pounds in weight. I now weigh 11st 7lb, I should be about 12st 10lb so I have a little way to go yet.

I still have the rash which is all over my body now, but it is mixed up with 'blood spots' caused by burst capillaries as I have low platelets. This could be caused by the drugs I'm on, the virus' I have or GvHD. This is also the explanation for all my other gripes, such as the headaches. This is the point at which no-one really knows what is going to happen. It is simply a case of wait and see...and suck up the symptoms cause it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment