Monday 13 August 2012

Why am I still here?

This is the question I will now be asking the doctors every day until they release me. I'm sat here feeling well (not 100% but well), as I have done for a couple of days, and I'm thinking they can't keep me here for much longer feeling so well?

My current list of ailments are:
  1. Morning headaches, these are quite bad but I suffered them during my auto. They generally go off once I am up and about and following my auto they stopped all together when my consultant reduced the number of drugs I was taking post-transplant. So these are not a concern.
  2. Tiredness. And by this I mean I get up at 08:30, have breakfast, shower, read the paper for a bit then go back to bed till lunchtime. A bit like a baby. But this is to be expected considering what I've just been through and is of no real concern either.
  3. Temperature spikes. Every day, at some point, my temperature rises and hits 38 before coming back down again. Currently none of the tests carried out on blood, spinal fluid or the line have shown anything, so this is a little mystery. But it is the thing that is keeping me here. While this keeps happening no-one is keen to let me out, as it suggests some underlying bug. It can happen at anytime, generally in the evening or the night, however today it happened this morning. I was gutted to get through the night without a spike then do it a 6am. Weirdly I do not feel hot when it happens, and I certainly don't feel ill with it, it is generally a bit of a surprise when the nurse says 38.
But the temperature thing is getting better, a week ago I was averaging temperatures of around 39. I now spend the day at mid-low 37s then spike to 38 at some point before coming back down to the mid-low 37s. One of the doctors just told me he thinks this will stop happening in the next day or two. Then can I go home? He laughed but nodded. He doesn't make the decision though and he knows it.

I'm happy to say I have had enough now, tomorrow will mark five weeks since I arrived in this room and I never at any point thought I would be spending this long here. Mission Get Home is now operational.

No comments:

Post a Comment