Wednesday 21 November 2012

Should be out by tomorrow

As some of you know, and some of you don't, I was admitted to hospital on Monday with a raised temperature. I can't say I felt that bad, very tired but not poorly as such. But we've been told quite firmly: do not sit on a temperature as you do not know what is causing it, and the drugs you are on mask a lot of stuff so it is possible to feel fine, but not be fine at all.

So Jo kicked my ass into the car against my will (I was not wanting to follow the advice mentioned above) and off we went. I have been suffering with strange spot/lesions for about 10 days on my head and another area which I don't wish to discuss too much on such an open forum, which have made walking and sitting very difficult. This was considered to be GvHD, but on arrival at the hospital I was given a blanket antibiotic to cover any possible infection and in 24 hours the pain had significantly reduced, and a virus has been found on the line in my arm which has also been identified on my head and other end. So it is simply viral and being treated and I am no longer in any real discomfort. My line has been taken out of my arm which is lovely, no more tubes hanging out of my body, which are such a pain in the arse. My temperature has stayed low, and I have been told I will probably go home once the course of antibiotics is over, which is tomorrow. I feel fine, am allowed of the ward, still having to eat pureed meals as my mouth is sore, but it is amazing how quickly you get used to something and almost forget what it was like to eat normally! It is just hard trying to find things that keep my diet a bit interesting, at the moment there are a lot of milk based foodstuffs passing my lips which is getting a bit tiresome. It is all about getting calories in as even though I feel I am eating constantly I haven't put on any weight at all.

My face and scalp is still red and itchy, but not around the eyes which makes me look like I've stayed on a sunbed a bit too long with goggles on. This IS considered to be a GvHD related skin condition, along with the rash on my torso and the skin on my feet which is now peeling off in sheets (quite satisfying to pull off as it comes off in strips, bit like peeling wallpaper). I also have skin discolouration (like freckles) on my legs, which is also 'classic' GvHD apparently. None of these things are that bad so I am very happy at moment. The transplant nurse visited me today and said that to have had the hard time I've had with all the viruses (apparently no one expected me to have such a difficult transplant when it was a reduced intensity allo) and to look so healthy and be so active I have done remarkably well, which was nice to hear as I have nothing to compare my progress to, whereas she has years of seeing these things. As I mentioned before all major internal organs are operating fine and a few skin problems I can put up with right now.

1 comment:

  1. Andy,

    You are a great fighter. All best wishes for you.

    Chuansen
    Your colleague

    ReplyDelete